Wednesday, January 09, 2008

The Top 10 rappers Young H doesnt care about in 2008 Part 2

Continuing where we left off

5) Lauryn Hill

What is there to really say here? No one should care about Lauryn anymore. She was one of the best MCs in the world when The Miseducation dropped, but that was a decade ago. She ripped the hell out of the two songs where she rapped on the Unplugged album, but that was 7 or 8 years ago. People are holding onto hopes that she’ll come back and be as strong as she once was, it’s good to dream but she has more kids than solo albums at this point. I’m not a Byron Crawford asshole type blogger, so I say the following in all seriousness: let’s pray for her good health instead of having selfish demands for new material that could put a stain on what was once a great career. Ms. Hill lost her passion for making music, I've accepted that and you should as well. Kanye wishing her heart was still in rhyming and song dedications from Talib Kweli are good and dandy, but let's let sleeping dogs lie here.

4)Wyclef Jean


The Carnival was that shit, I even bought the album that came after that in good faith and I wasn't disappointed. I dont remember how the song sounded from a few years ago where he was riding around in a cab with Queen Latifah in the video but I think it was heat. That much said, it’s a wrap for dude at this point. He comes off as a confused Haitian who needs to be reminded he isn’t Jamaican (the T.I. “You Know What It Is” record), and one day watching VH1 Soul I saw he had a new song with Lil’ Wayne. I wasn’t shocked because that’s today’s industry standard if you need to appear relevant, but I think it was over a Wu-Tang beat (I’m not double checking youtube for that trash). He’s made his money and I guess he’s content having fun doing records with Shakira at this point, but that doesn't exactly fly with your man Young H.

3) Fat Joe

For the record I never heard his debut album with “Flow Joe”, but Jealous One’s Envy and Don Cartagena got heavy rotation from me when they dropped. I understand having to carry your crew after Pun’s passing, but jumping in pools with a blue chinchilla and lipstick on your cheek is decidedly not what’s hot in the streets. Ever since becoming a household name, he’s been another one on the long list of rappers who cant decide if they rep the streets or women, while Jay-Z was the only one versatile enough to wear both hats and maintain credibility. The past few years he’s been in a beef with 50, had “Lean Back” which was the biggest song the year it was out but that Terror Squad album still flopped, linked up with DJ Khaled (further indicative of how he’s stranded New York) and just become this cocky Latino who’s “hot” every few seasons, but Hot is the prefix behind radio stations who play bullshit. Joey Crack gets props for longevity but the second half of his career to date has been basura, papi.

2) Cassidy

I guess he has “the streets” locked down but that means absolutely nothing to me, because he doesn’t spit fire like some people give him credit for. He’s always been corny to me since “Hotel”, I guess “I’m a Hustler” was a club banger but he wasn’t saying much on it. "Drink & My 2 Step" would have become catchy if I allowed myself to hear it more than thrice. He had the nerve to fix his face and say Jay-Z needed to worry about their albums dropping on the same day this past November. I have homeboys who were impressed by bars like “Last dude tried to body Cass wound up with a body cast/I chop more bricks than a karate class”, yes those are actual bars he spit. STOP TELLING ME ABOUT THAT FREEWAY BATTLE, I'M NOT IMPRESSED. Swizzy worked heavily with The Lox and DMX, he knows what good street MCs are but I guess he’s invested in Cassidy to cash in with the 106 & Park audience.

The next entry will feature the esteemed title holder for the # 1 rapper Young H doesn't care about in 2008.

1 comment:

E.Knight said...

i agree wit pretty much everybody on ur list except for luda