Monday, September 10, 2007

Support young folks making good Hip-Hop (Part 3)


Artist : Emoni Fela

Age: 16

Sounds Like : The future

Recent Project: Still Waitin' For The Bus

Background Information: I don’t know much besides the fact that she’s repping DC and advanced way beyond her years (as she puts it “i'm not ahead of my time.. you're just far behind on yours”), more cultured than people my age and can spit really well. I’m led to believe two of her biggest influences are Fela Kuti and Sista Souljah from what I gleaned on her page. The material I’ve heard deals with being a teenager, familial introspection, concerns of advancing Hip-Hop and the like.

I saw her perform a year ago at this event called "Can A Sista Rock The Mic?" and her sound has since advanced to be a little more experimental fusing a little bit of rock with her rhymes. Emoni was supposed to rock at the Red and Black bar in her hometown this past weekend but that whole evening went awry.

If you’re in DC you should already be up on game by now, as you can regularly check for her ripping stages in our nation’s capital, not to mention she’s traveled worldwide doing her thing. At this rate, Emoni Fela is destined to be one of a few restoring respect for female MCs, as the culture has largely become accustomed to viewing them as sexualized commodities.

A few songs I jacked from myspace.
(I hope no one gets upset, but I enjoy sharing MP3s with people and I wasn’t able to find anything at my usual online haunts.)

No comments: