Monday, April 02, 2007


The only reason I believe Hip-Hop Is Dead*

Albums like this wont get 5 mics in the Source or a XXL, let alone a review (magazinesneedmetoletthemknowwhatsgoodvertisement)

I'll keep it brief, but Blu will make any MC who considers themselves "nice" want to step their game up. Mos Def needs to hear this album and go back to trying to be one of the best. The scary part is Blu is in his early 20's with skill that says he's been here before. Oh yeah, his partner Exile blessed the hell out of him with the beats too.

The artist is Blu, the album is Below The Heavens. If you've ever called yourself a fan of classic Hip-Hop and want an experience that moves you, dont wind up sleeping.This is my favorite part of being a diehard fan of this, once or twice a year someone puts me on to something that blows me away (shoutout to the homie Von Pea).The sad part is maybe 5,000 people will wind up hearing this when 5 million need to.

*I generally hate this term more than any pop cultured cliche reference that's floating around. The man who made the album with this title still wound up suffering from part of what's wrong with the game: He didnt set out to make a classic, he just kind of winged it and wound up with a few bangers on an overall decent effort. That was just a marketing scheme on his part (albeit a successful one), now everyone has run amuck proclaiming "HHID" (I cant even stomach to type out that acronym aside from the title of this entry). It's alive and thriving so long as I'm listening to greatness and I have people to put me on, so that I can put others on which hopefully allows the cycle to continue.

Dont allow yourself to be distracted by that last paragraph, you need Blu in your life.

1 comment:

Donald Williams said...

this shit is a masterpiece for real

i wanna hear the EL P joint still