Friday, August 24, 2007






KRS One vs. Adisa Banjoko, Stanford University 2006

Last year a gang of esteemed artists, journalists, tastemakers and icons converged for The Artist is the Theorist: I Am Hip-Hop panel discussion on our culture. Plenty of knowledge was dropped from Dead Prez’s Stic Man, Ladybug Mecca of Digable Planets fame, Boots Riley from The Coup and historian Davey D (If you happen to read this, we sat down and spoke at a Starbucks in Harlem a few years back thanks to Dove) amongst others.

The new class spoke with understanding and wisdom, while old schoolers Busy Bee and the Blastmaster KRS One really sounded lost and out of place within the context of today’s scene.
________________
Busy Bee on the difference between rap and Hip-Hop: We have a lot of good rappers out there. Young Jeezy , even Jay-Z (is not a Hip-Hopper) is a good rapper. (Busy must not have caught the “Can I Kick It” reference on "22 Twos", “I’m overcharging niggas for what they did to the Cold Crush” from “Izzo” or the line “Me myself and I on some Trugoy shit” from The Black Album’s My 1st Song)

To that I say: Hip-Hop is a noun, Rap is a noun and a verb. You get in the booth and rap, you’re a “rapper” plain and simple. You don’t Hip-Hop in the booth, you can live by your standards & ethics of what (real) Hip-Hop is, but at the end of the day you’re a rapper/MC (I guess I can agree with the idea that “MCs” care more about their craft than “rappers”) You’ve got it twisted if you don’t think Jay-Z is a MC just because he was about his business. His hustler facet accompanied by his slick way with words made him one of the best to ever do this.
__________________
As much as I respect Kris Parker’s status as a legend, he speaks “dumb shit” pretty fluent and it seems as if he’s fallen into the trap of believing his own hype as the clip at the end of this entry displays.

Quotables and related facts include:
“To be honest with you, fuck America… (it’s) not about asking the white man for nothing” (Show me the last time KRS-One wasn’t signed to a label owned by a white person)

Kris tried to go to visual arts school to learn graffiti and got mad because they didn’t teach it. That’s not “Hip-Hop”, you don’t go to school to hone a creative genius like breaking, writing rhymes, DJing etc. You get out there, apply yourself and make it happen.

Then came an inexplicable meltdown where he attacked cultural critic Adisa Banjoko, whom Kris felt personally slighted him by challenging his views in the press. KRS labels the man a FBI agent and enemy to the culture, physically threatens him and shortly thereafter follows that up with “I don’t deal with that, I have a declaration of peace”. Attempts at rationality were met with “Go talk with black folks somewhere else, this is Hip-Hop” as he was blinded by a self-realized delusion that he’s the representation of our culture.
_____________________
Busy Bee’s cosign of The Blastmaster’s lunacy shows just how far off base he’s become, as they suggest that to hold any relevance you had to have been there from jump.

“This discussion is about me…nobody in here is from the Bronx except KRS-One.”

Then he went so far as to nearly dis Busta Rhymes who started in the early ‘90s and has made a heavier impact artistically than he ever will.

KRS’ further ramblings
“If 50 Cent & G-Unit were here they’d put a gun to your backs.”

“Yall are having a conversation, this is our life. We live this, we don’t talk about it” – A panel should always respect its elders on deck, but you’re there to talk.

“You were not there when it started, I was” followed by “I’m not trying to separate myself” a few statements later.

“I came to the panel in the spirit of unity, I came to discuss Hip-Hop” followed shortly therafter by “I got the FBI behind me, I got the CIA calling me…I don’t have time to discuss this shit!”

“You can’t go to college then say you’re Hip-Hop, that don’t fly here.” – I mean…wow

“I’m not an artist…I’m an intellectual. I’ve written books…I’m a scientist, this is from empirical data that I’m giving you.”

Again, I respect KRS’ catalogue and hard work towards pushing people in the right direction, but this was a highly bizarre moment in time.

Related Links:
What I presume set KRS One off

KRS’ original response in writing

The clip from the panel

The Resolution

Finally, for the sake of comedy:

Busy Bee - “Suicide” – Big up Phonte for putting me onto this years back.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I forgot I put you up on that 'Suicide' joint. Funny shit is, I actually met Busy Bee back at Magic last year....cool cat....