Monday, May 21, 2007

Soundtrack To A Summer Fling - Liner Notes

For anyone who has ever heard or received a mix from me, a secret is I get my inspiration from autobiographical experience. Whatever I’m going through at the time, I try to organize and sequence a bunch of (good) songs around the topic. I do it to put people on to new music they haven’t heard and take them back to a good feeling when they heard older classics. For everyone who asks when something new is coming, if there’s nothing going on with me wont have a CD to make.

So far it’s gone like this (the better ones)

A Love Story (summer ’05) – detailing the rise and fall of my relationship at the time

I’m A Get A Bitch Number Tonight (fall ‘05) – Me getting back on the scene hollering at women

The Coldest Winter Ever (winter ‘06) – I got royally shitted on and heartbroken as soon as I tried to rebound.

All Praises Due (fall ‘06) – At a point where I felt the need to improve my ongoing relationship with the creator.


Soundtrack To A Summer Fling was made at a point where me and someone new just started digging each other a little while back. I went for two themes here, feel good music and exploring the (not so) innocence of getting to know someone for what may be a temporary thing. If you pay close attention there’s a beginning, a middle where things heat up and an ending.

How It All Came To Be: Really Blu & Exile’s “No Greater Love” is responsible for this project. I was shaken to the core by how ill the album Below The Heavens was at the same time I started interacting with the inspiration for the project. From there I scraped my my memory banks for songs that fit the mood, and came upon the PERFECT cover (you’ll understand in a minute) and solicited drops. One or two songs kind of lean more towards the female side, but it’s mostly good music that anyone with soul can dig.

Trial and Error: I scrapped a few songs - Che Grand’s “Trainspotting” was originally the opening song after the intro from its producer. “All My Time” by Paid & Live featuring Lauryn Hill was replaced by Count Bass D’s “False or True” which is way more flavorful. Little Brother’s “Nobody But You” was on the original draft, but that was a little more serious than what I was going for.


In sum: I’m not a “DJ”, don’t expect any incredible blends or scratching here but I think the songs flow well into each other if you play this without the annoying 2 second delays between tracks. I hope your summer is filled with love (you don’t have to be in love to have love for someone), fun and peaceful times with your newfound prospect or already existing significant other.

1 comment:

EurekaFish said...

I'd like to hear this... please send me a link. I might miss it if you post the link in GD.

have fun in M-I-yayo!

shuga22@hotmail.com