Sunday, January 28, 2007

Debunking the myth that T.R.O.Y is the greatest Hip-Hop song of all time.

Author's Preface: I know my homey G. Mittens will be ready to have my neck hanging from a noose for this, but it has to be said.

I go back to the Video Music Box/Yo! MTV Raps days, so this has nothing to do with me not respecting history. “T.R.O.Y” was one of the best songs from the early 90s, but there's an unwritten oath stating this is the one song that will represent what "real hip-hop" was until the end of time. Saying “T.R.O.Y” is the greatest of all time hearkens back to the corny "when did you fall in love with hip-hop?" question from Brown Sugar (Note: I wrote that sentence weeks ago, since which point a female friend playing this song actually said "This reminds me of when I first fell in love with Hip-Hop") I'm sure that true disco heads don't consider "Stayin' Alive" to be that genre's greatest song.

Don't get me wrong, it's classic and it was great for its time just like "I Used To Love H.E.R" was great for its time, but I have no desire to hear either of those songs possibly ever again in life.”T.R.O.Y” is to Hip-Hop what Frankie Beverly featuring Maze's "Before I Let Go" is to classic soul. Say there was a Family Feud segment where they asked a white clan “Name the top 5 foods black people eat” what's the first answer they would give? Fried chicken of course, and while that may or may not be right (barbecue chicken, mac n cheese, candied yams, collard greens, hello?) it's a little off-putting for that to be THE food associated with my people. That's how I see ”T.R.O.Y” as a die hard Hip-Hop enthusiast, the casual listener who goes to a party here and there might say it’s the greatest but that just doesn’t sit right with me.

Pros: an unforgettable horn loop that starts the song and comes in during the hook, it's the commemoration of a departed loved one, etc. It’s like what The Cosby Show was to (black) sitcoms, a feel good family experience aside from the old head laughing all night about the hookers at the party.

Cons: There are no real epic moments as far as the MC'ing is concerned. People are moreso programmed to love the song than anything else, it's been played out and spun to the point where it's really not that exciting despite the massive "OOOHHHHHHHHHH" that erupts the 1,362 nd time you hear a DJ drop it at a party. 70% of people don’t even know the story behind Trouble T-Roy, they just know that when they hear the infamous Tom Scott sample they absolutely must lose their minds.

5 songs off the top of my head that I feel are greater
The Bridge Is Over - http://www.sendspace.com/file/ifvjg5
The Show - http://www.sendspace.com/file/qptawz
Scenario Remix - http://www.sendspace.com/file/a6z2xf
Buddy Remix - http://www.sendspace.com/file/17wac5
HipHop Junkies http://www.sendspace.com/file/vf5xw1

6 comments:

Unknown said...

You just gon' put me out there huh? lol

well, while you are certainly entitled to your opinion, i respectfully disagree.

The greatness of a song is not recognized by how many ppl remember the story, it's moreso about the song's ability to make people respond/react a certain way each time. it's about the longevity and the memorability of the song. The songs you listed are good, undoubtedly, but TROY captured a moment in time where everything just came together and showed what hip hop was... but that's just how i see it.

John Book said...

It's not only the horns, but the vocals that go along with it. If it was just the horn, it would be a 45 King track.

Unknown said...

Put in the context of losing a friend who was real into Hip-Hop, the song has stronger meaning.

For me, that song is one that just defines a lot of memories.

Like the way you dropped your argument though!
Big R
sumish.com

El Keter ben Tzadik said...

I thought I was the only one who felt that way. I love "T.R.O.Y." but it's become a fucking cliche. I'm going to assume you don't also share my opinion that 'Illmatic' is similarly over-rated though.

Unknown said...

the scenario remix gets me much more hype than t.r.o.y ever will, i think it's great but i don't think the style represents hip-hop well. good suggestions

D.L. Chandler said...

You have no argument from The God, friend. Sak Passe.