Thursday, April 20, 2006


# 7 - Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx

I remember Funkmaster Flex world premiering “Glaciers of Ice” in the spring of 1995, coming to school Monday and talking about it. The “Criminology” video was the illest thing in the world, I didn’t understand what Ghost was talking about but it sounded great. I bought the purple tape the day it came out, at (Nobody Beats) The Wiz if memory serves me right. “Knuckleheadz” made me think U-God had it.

Raekwon could spit nearly anything and it would sound ill. It took maybe 8 years for me to grasp “you got guns, got guns too/What up sun doo? Wanna battle for cash and see who sons who?” FOR REAL IT’S JUST SLANG RAP DEMOCRACY, HERE’S THE POLICY SLIDE OFF THE RINGS PLUS THE WALLABEES

“Rainy Dayz” has to be one of my top 10 rap songs ever

“Guillotine” and “Wu-Gambinos” are amongst the crew’s best posse cuts

Everyone swears and lives by Nas’ verse on “Verbal Intercourse”, not to take away anything from it but that song is about Ghost for me (infirmary niggas is screamin I GOT SHOOK). Really he’s the secret weapon of the album, Starks’ contribution to this masterpiece has gone greatly underappreciated over the years.

This is the album they worked all of their lives to make, let’s hope the forthcoming sequel is nearly as good as the Chef is hyping it up to be.

peace Connecticut

1 comment:

WEKetchum said...

I downloaded this album, but I never really listened to it all the way through...the leaked songs from OB4CL2 are all crazy though