Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Jay-Z has 103 classic songs to Nas' 64

Perhaps this will quiet down some of the incessant debate. I dont quite care whether you agree with my choices. I've always preferred Jay out of the two, but I gave Nas his credit where I felt it was due. I only included their solo albums, no soundtrack songs, guest appearances or anything that wasnt on an album of theirs.

Classic Nas Songs

Illmatic
------------
N.Y. State of Mind
Life's a Bitch
The World is Yours
Halftime
Memory Lane (Sittin' in Da Park)
One Love
Represent
It Ain't Hard to Tell

It Was Written
------------------
The Message
Street Dreams
I Gave You Power
Watch Dem Niggas
Take it in Blood
Nas is Coming
The Set Up
Black Girl Lost
Suspect
If I Ruled the World
Silent Murder

I Am
---------
N.Y. State of Mind Part II
Hate Me Now
Small World
Nas is Like
Undying Love

Nastradamus
----------------
Project Windows
Come Get Me
New World

Stillmatic
--------------
Stillmatic (The Intro)
Ether (Note: It's only a classic in the sense that it was the answer record and a few misguided souls think he actually won, so I included it)
Got Ur Self A..
Smokin'
You're Da Man
One Mic
2nd Childhood
Destroy & Rebuild
The Flyest
Rule
What Goes Around

The Lost Tapes
----------------
Doo Rags
U Gotta Love It
No Idea's Original
Blaze a 50
Everybody's Crazy
Purple
Drunk by Myself
Black Zombie
Poppa Was a Player
Fetus

God's Son
------------
Get Down
The Cross
Made You Look
I Can
Book of Rhymes
Revolutionary Warfare

Street's Disciple (Disc One)
---------------------------
Nazareth Savage
American Way
These are Our Heroes
Disciple
Just a Moment

Street's Disciple (Disc Two)
-----------------------------
Street's Disciple
War
Me & You (Dedicated to Destiny) (Note: He sings the whole song if I remember correct, but the beat banged)
Thief's Theme

Where Yall At (released earlier this year)

That's approximately 64


Classic Jay-Z songs

Reasonable Doubt
-------------------
Can't Knock the Hustle
Politics as Usual
Brooklyn's Finest
Dead Presidents II
Feelin' It
D'Evils
22 Two's
Can I Live
Ain't No Nigga
Friend or Foe
Coming of Age
Cashmere Thoughts
Bring it On (Note: A lot of people dont like this song and I dont have a clue why)
Regrets

In My Lifetime Vol. 1
------------------------
A Million and 1 Questions
Imaginary Player
Streets is Watching
Friend or Foe '98
Lucky Me
Who You Wit II
Face Off
Real Niggaz
Where I'm From

Vol. 2... Hard Knock Life
---------------------------
Hard Knock Life (Ghetto Anthem)
Ride or Die
Nigga What, Nigga Who
Money, Cash, Hoes
A Week Ago
Coming of Age (Da Sequel)
Can I Get a...
Reservoir Dogs
It's Like That
It's Alright

Vol. 3... Life and Times of S. Carter
Hova Song (Intro)
So Ghetto
Do it Again
Dope Man
It's Hot (Some Like it Hot)
Snoopy Track
Watch Me
Big Pimpin'
There's Been a Murder
Come and Get Me
Hova Song (Outro)

Dynasty Roc La Familia
------------------------
Intro
Change the Game
I Just Wanna Love U
Streets is Talking
This Can't Be Life
Stick 2 the Script
You, Me, Him and Her
Parking Lot Pimpin'
1-900-Hustler
Squeeze 1st
Where Have You Been

The Blueprint
-----------------
The Ruler's Back
Takeover
Izzo (H.O.V.A.)
Girls, Girls, Girls
Jigga That Nigga (Note: A lot of people dont like this song, but the crowd reaction when he performs it live says I cant be wrong)
U Don't Know
Hola' Hovito
Heart of the City (Ain't No Love)
Never Change
Song Cry
All I Need
Renagade
Blueprint (Momma Loves Me)
Breathe Easy (Lyrical Exercise)
Girls, Girls, Girls (Remix)

MTV Unplugged
--------------
People Talkin'

The Blueprint 2: (Disc One)
---------------------------
Hovi Baby
Excuse Me Miss
All Around the World
Fuck All Nite
The Bounce
I Did it My Way

The Blueprint 2: (Disc Two)
---------------------------
Diamond is Forever
Guns & Roses
Meet the Parents
Some People Hate
Blueprint 2
Nigga Please
A Ballad for the Fallen Soldier
Show You How
Bitches & Sisters
What They Gonna Do Part II

The Black Album (Note: I almost included "Moment of Clarity", but I didnt want to upset anyone)
-----------------
December 4th
What More Can I Say
Encore
Dirt Off Your Shoulder
Threat
99 Problems
Public Service Announcement (Interlude)
Lucifer
Allure
My 1st Song

Kingdom Come
---------------(Note: I've played the album all of three times and it's still not out yet, but here are songs that I feel will stand the test of time)

The Prelude
Oh My God
Lost Ones
Do You Wanna Ride
Trouble
Dig A Hole

That's roughly 103.

The N (Hip-Hop Is Dead) could be classic all throughout and Nas' catalogue wont be up to par. There really isnt much left to debate, his fans can cop pleas and say Jay released more material therefore he should have more heat. To which I reply, with a 2 year headstart on Reasonable Doubt, why hasnt Nas been equally on his grind all of these years?

No comments: